Stuffit Expander is the most widely used expander and decoder utility on Mac.
Although there are now several other options out there, Stuffit Expander has certainly been around as long as any and is a powerful tool for anyone that works with multiple file formats. It's easy to use supporting the dragging and dropping of files into the Stuffit Expander drop box which instantly unarchives files for you.
Stuffit Expander supports over 30 different archive formats including StuffIt, RAR, 7zip, split and segmented archives. It can even be used to decompress archives encrypted with 512 and AES 256-bit protection. You should be aware however that Stuffit is quite a large application despite its simplicity - it installs a lot of components along with the program that some may find bloat their system somewhat.
Stuffit Expander is still a powerful and effective tool for handling almost every archive format out there.
- No release notes available.
Stuffit Expander supports the following formats
* StuffIt X archives (.sitx)
* Legacy StuffIt 5 and older StuffIt archives (.sit)
* Legacy StuffIt 5 and older Mac Self-Extracting archives (.sea)
* Zip archives - including encrypted and Zip64 archives (.zip)
* Windows Self-Extracting archives - created with StuffIt for Windows or Windows Zip utilities (.exe)
* RAR archives - including encrypted archives (.rar)
* 7-Zip archives (.7z)
* TAR archives or UNIX Tape Archives (.tar)
* Compressed TAR archives or tarballs
o Gzip Compressed TAR (.tar.gz, .tgz, .taz)
o Bzip Compressed TAR (.tar.bz, .tbz)
o Bzip2 Compressed TAR (.tar.bz2, .tbz2)
o UNIX Compressed TAR (.tar.Z, .tz)
o LZMA Compressed TAR (.tar.lzma, .tlzma)
* Compact Pro archives - including self-extracting archives (.cpt, .sea)
* Windows CAB Files (.cab)
* Lha archives (.lha, .lzh)
* Arj archives (.arj)
* Arc archives (.arc)
* Comic Book Archives
o CBZ (.cbz)